It is easy to think that personal statements are only written for joining college or university. However, you may come to realize in the future that personal statements go beyond the academic settings and will be needed as you hand in your CV to new job places as well. It is, therefore, crucial to understand the main reason why they are written: to sell yourself to the reader. Writing a personal statement is not a complicated process but whether your statement stands out from the rest is what determines whether your personal statement will make a decision or not. Here at All Homework Solutions, we have assembled a guide that will help you write an outstanding personal statement.
Tips for a perfect personal statement
- Plan: To have a quality personal statement, take your time and do not reserve it for the last minute. You may be surprised that writing your personal statement takes more time than anticipated. You may find that taking time off and coming back to the personal statement helps provide fresh insight.
- Choose your words and vocabulary carefully: Use synonyms that make the personal statement look professional. However, this does not mean that you should use difficult words that make your personal statement hard to comprehend. Also, avoid using cliché statements as this only make you appear boring and do not add any credibility to your work.
- Focus on your strengths: As stated above, the main reason for writing a personal statement is to sell yourself to the university you want to attend. Therefore, make it a point to concentrate on your strengths rather than weaknesses. That will give you more points than writing about your weaknesses.
- Introduction: Your introduction should have a hook. Start with something interesting such as a statistic, anecdote or a personal story that will create a good first impression. This perfect first statement may not come easily to you as mostly they come as “eureka moments.” Do not overthink this statement; it will come in time.
- Write in your voice: A perfect personal statement that captures your essence because you are a unique personality. Do not set rules or patterns according to other personal statements that you have read. This means that you will also have to be honest about yourself and not overstate your qualities as the truth will eventually come to light.
- Proofread: While it is easy to get lost in yourself, it may be a good idea to proofread your personal statement and let others read it as well. People close to you such as your friends and family can provide valuable feedback that will make your personal statement better. All Homework Solutions can help you write your personal statement and proofread it as well.
What to include
While all personal statements are different, you can add the following to make yours stand out:
- Your preferred course: Explain your preferred course to the panel and why you are interested in it. This should be done as you explain where you have drawn the inspiration to pursue it. If there is a specific achievement you are hoping for, state it clearly.
- Explain how you are suited for the course: Showing that you meet the selection criteria goes beyond your transcripts. Show that you are well-versed with the profession and that you understand what your study will involve by giving relevant examples.
- Go beyond the classroom: Let the admissions panel know and understand how your interest in the subject does not just lie within the classroom. Critically review the things you have done outside the classrooms that the admissions officers can understand you better. Be specific and stay unique.
- Link your experience to your classwork and career as well: Tell the admissions panel your experiences, what you learned from these experiences and how they helped you develop an interest in your career path.
- Demonstrate transferable skills: Transferable skills include:
- Working under pressure
- Organizational skills
Ensure that your skills are the same ones set out in the course description as this earns you more points with the admissions panel.
- Long-term plan: Share your long-term plans with the panel in an interesting Positively do this to help your chances of being selected for the course.
At All Homework Solutions, we understand that compiling a personal statement may not always come easy. If by any chance you encounter challenges, feel free to contact our able team for guidance.
You might be interested in: