In this assignment, you will assess the impact of health legislation on a professional nursing standard, your own nursing practice, and your community. You will also develop the presentation as if you going to communicate your analysis to your peers and to legislators. GovTrack.us provides a list of federal health bills that are currently in process in Congressional Committees.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes:
- CO 4: Integrates clinical nursing judgment using effective communication strategies with patients, colleagues, and other healthcare providers. (PO 4)
- CO 7: Integrates the professional role of leader, teacher, communicator, and manager of care to plan cost-effective, quality healthcare to consumers in structured and unstructured settings. (PO 7)
The assignment is worth 175 points.
- Please review the infographic as a way to guide you in getting started with your assignment: Developing an Assignment with IntegrityLinks to an external site.
- View a short tutorial with tips for completing this assignment:
- This assignment will be in the format of a PowerPoint presentation (Bullet points and ‘Best Practices for PowerPoint’ should be used).
- You are developing this presentation as if you were going to communicate your analysis to your colleagues regarding a current federal bill you believe may be of interest to nurses.
- Go to https://www.govtrack.us/ congress/bills/subjects/ health/6130Links to an external site. (This is a required site for this assignment.)
- Choose a current health-related federal bill of interest from the required site. Read through the bill and develop a summary of the main points in your own words. Include the bill number and name. (You may also use H.R. or S.R. as these are bills in the resolution phase).
- Here is a link to our U.S. legislative process (bill to law) for review if you need to review how a bill becomes a law: https://www.congress.gov/ legislative-processLinks to an external site.
- For those not familiar with the development of a PowerPoint slideshow, the following link to the Microsoft Office 365 TrainingLinks to an external site. may be helpful.
- Include the following information in your presentation
o Title slide (Your name, NR451, session, Healthcare Policy assignment)
o Bill name and number (indicate either H.B./H.R. or S.B./S.R.)
o Bill summary (in your own words)
o Address how this bill might relate to a professional nursing practice standard if passed? If not passed? (Choose one standard from the ANA Scope and Standards of Practice textbook)
o How might the bill impact your own nursing practice if passed? If not passed?
o How might you communicate your concerns about or support for this bill to peers and legislators based on nursing practice, standards, or patient outcomes?
o How might this bill impact your community if passed?
o References slide to include the Bill source in APA format.
o Cite the bill reference and any other reference in APA format directly on the slide where the source is used
o No more than 12 slides
- Recommended headings for slides after the Title Slide: Bill Identification and Summary; Impact of Bill on Nursing Practice Standard; Impact of Bill on own Nursing Practice; Communication Strategies; Community Impact of the Bill; then, the References slide.
There is no required form or template for this assignment. Please use PowerPoint best practices throughout your presentation.
The following are best practices in preparing this presentation.
• Review directions and rubric thoroughly prior to beginning assignment.
• Watch the short video tutorial on tips for completing the assignment and on developing a PowerPoint.
• Incorporate graphics, clip art, or photographs to increase interest.
• Make slides easy to read with short bullet points and large font.
• Please see the grading criteria and rubrics on this page.
Scholarly Sources and Citations
• Cite all sources on the appropriate slides with (author, year) in APA 7th edition format.
• Spell check for spelling and grammar errors prior to final submission.
As detailed in the Simple Syllabus, all required Chamberlain papers, discussions or other written learning activities are subject to submission for detection of plagiarism to Turnitin ® or other anti-plagiarism software. Remember, Chamberlain’s philosophy is Integrity Matters so please use all resources within your course and your instructor if you have any questions or need assistance with this assignment.
Chamberlain College of Nursing values honesty and integrity. All students should be aware of the Academic Integrity policy and follow it in all discussions and assignments.
By submitting this assignment, I pledge on my honor that all content contained is my own original work except as quoted and cited appropriately. I have not received any unauthorized assistance on this assignment.
Do you need help with this assignment or any other? We got you! Place your order and leave the rest to our experts.