A social policy is created when the government develops a plan of action intended to ameliorate or address a societal concern. Creating policy requires the application of values and the law to establish guidelines intended to improve the public’s general well-being. This week you’ll analyze the political, social, and economic forces that influence the implementation and success of a social welfare policy.
Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word paper in which you analyze a social welfare policy that was designed to alleviate the effects of poverty.
Note: Do not use Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) for this assignment.
Include the following in your paper:
- Overview – Provide a brief overview of the policy. Include details related to when the policy was passed (including any revisions), the social problem it was trying to address, and the goals of the policy.
- Political Factors – Describe the impact of politics on the creation of the policy. Use the questions below to guide your response:
- Which political party was the primary sponsor of the policy?
- How did their stance on poverty impact the policy?
- Which major political interest groups or lobbyists were involved in the creation of the policy?
- Social Factors – Analyze the values or ideals that may have had an impact on the policy. Use the questions below to guide your response:
- What connections can you draw between the values you described and the political party that supported or created the policy?
- What connections can you draw between the values you described and the political groups or lobbyists who may have opposed the policy?
- What historical events may have influenced the policy?
- Economic Factors – Analyze the financial costs associated with the policy. Use the questions below to guide your response:
- What were the initial projected costs of the policy?
- How do those costs compare with the costs of the policy currently? Has the cost increased or decreased? What factors may have contributed to the increase or decrease in costs? Provide specific examples or details to support your answer.
- In your opinion, do the social welfare benefits outweigh the costs? Why or why not?
- In your opinion, how might the costs of the policy be reduced?
- Note: Consider searching the Congressional Budget Office website for economic data about your chosen policy.
Browse Topics | Congressional Budget Office (cbo.gov)
- Assessment – Analyze the results of the policy. Use the questions below to guide your response:
- How is the success of the policy measured?
- In your opinion, is the policy successful in addressing the effects of poverty? Why or why not? Provide specific details and/or examples to support your response.
Cite at least 3 scholarly sources in the paper.
Do you need help with this assignment or any other? We got you! Place your order and leave the rest to our experts.