Design a thematic unit that includes learning outcomes in listening, viewing, speaking, reading, writing, language and literature. The unit will include THREE lesson plans, each of which will include the following components:
• Grade/age level of students;
• Specific learning outcomes in listening, speaking, reading, writing;
• Correlation with state’s curriculum standards for language arts
• Correlation with national TESOL standards
• Human, material, and electronic resources used by the teacher and students. (Teacher resources should reflect the latest research and practice in instructional methodology, learning theories, and second language acquisition theories.)
• Description of how the lessons will be taught, i.e., grouping formats that allow for individual and cooperative group inquiry
• Brief description of activities for integrating other elementary content areas (mathematics, science, social studies, the fine arts, physical and health education);
• Long-term and short-term objectives, including specific objectives for ESOL/LEP;
• Brief description of lesson activities, including modifications for students with special
needs, demonstrating a broad knowledge of students from differing profiles, including students with disabilities and students from diverse populations. You may use the lesson plan template that can be found in Appendix B, but if your school or district uses a standard lesson plan format, please feel free to use that template.
• Explanation of literacy assessment component: How will learning be assessed traditionally and authentically? What formal and informal assessments will be used to assess literacy instruction for diverse populations? What elements and rubrics will be used to assess writing?
In order to provide an opportunity for reflection upon the designed unit, the following information will also be included:
• Rationale for selection of the theme, long-range goals and related short-range objectives for the language arts subject area;
• Evaluative description of the selected instructional materials, activities, and assignments as well as teaching and assessment strategies to determine effectiveness and developmental appropriateness for addressing individual student learning needs and experiences, including the language needs of ESOL/LEP;
• Evaluative description of how Elementary Education Competencies and Skills in Language Arts and Reading were used in planning, implementing, and assessing unit/lessons, specific to writing, communication, information and media literacy
• Evaluative description of how Elementary Education Competencies and Skills in other content areas were used in planning, implementing, and assessing unit/lessons, specific to writing area
• Evaluative description of how Reading Endorsement Competencies and Skills were used in planning, implementing, and assessing unit/lessons, specific to reading area
Rubric for Thematic Unit:
Element Not Met Met Expectations Exceeded
grade, length, learning outcomes, concepts, skills, and standards
(8 points) The thematic unit do not include all the components The thematic unit include all the components The thematic unit include and explain all the components required in the assignment.
Appropriate Lesson plans: Objectives, Materials, Activities, Modifications, Evaluation
(8 points) The three lesson plans do not include all the required components. The three lesson plans include all the required components. The three lesson plans are appropriate to the theme and include all the required components.
Appropriateness of activities and resources (4 points) The activities and resources were not appropriate for the elementary students. The activities and resources are appropriate for the elementary students. The activities and resources are developmentally appropriate for the elementary students. The activities are culturally relevant to all the students.
• Application of competencies, skills, and standards
• (3 points) • The lesson plans do not apply the reading competencies, skills and standards • The lesson plans applied the reading competencies, skills and standards • All the five lesson plans applied the reading competencies, skills and standards
(5 points) There is no reflection. The reflection demonstrates an analytic, evaluative and reflective thinking. The reflection demonstrates an analytic, evaluative and reflective thinking. The reflection includes the rationale and all the evaluations.
Proper APA format
(2 points) Unit did not follow APA format. Unit did follow APA format; however, a few (2) errors in essential information were evident. Unit did follow APA format. Essential information was accurate and complete.
Element Not Met Expectations Exceeded
Do you need help with this assignment or any other? We got you! Place your order and leave the rest to our experts.