The purpose of this assignment is to examine the role of the nurse leader in identifying and leading teams through ethical and legal dilemmas that present in today’s complex healthcare systems.
For this assignment, select an ethical or legal dilemma and examine the accountability of the nurse leader in resolving ethical and legal dilemmas.
Include the following in your paper:
a. Introduce the paper’s topic and establish its importance.
b. Present a clear purpose statement.
c. Provide the reader with a brief organizing statement of what will be discussed in the paper.
- Ethical Dilemmas in Healthcare: Select an ethical or legal dilemma in healthcare.
a. Describe the ethical or legal dilemma and its impact on healthcare outcomes.
b. Is the dilemma an ethical issue, a legal issue, or both?
c. Identify the key issues surrounding the dilemma.
d. What are the consequences if the dilemma is not resolved appropriately and timely?
- Differing Views: Identify and examine differing views that create the dilemma.
a. Determine the stakeholders most impacted by the dilemma.
b. Describe the impact on staff, patients, and the community.
c. Are the views influenced by culture, socio-economic status, religion, generational differences, ethnic diversity, or other factors?
- The Role of the Nurse Leader in Resolving Legal and Ethical Dilemmas: Based on a review of the literature.
a. Explain the position you would choose as a nurse leader.
b. Cite at least three (3) scholarly sources to defend your position.
c. How would you demonstrate leadership accountability to reach a positive outcome?
d. How would you mitigate risk to the organization?
a. Recap the paper’s purpose statement and organizing criteria.
b. Draw major conclusions from the body of the paper.
c. Summarize the nurse leader’s accountability for resolving legal and ethical dilemmas in the healthcare setting.
- References (minimum of 3 scholarly, peer-reviewed sources)
a. Create the reference page.
b. Ensure each reference has a matching citation.
c. Support your position and the impact of the dilemma on healthcare by using evidence from at least three (3) scholarly peer-reviewed journal sources (preferably research or systematic reviews) that are retrieved from the Chamberlain library databases. Do not use textbooks, government sources, or organizational websites for the three sources in this assignment.
Review the rubric for the grading criteria.
Use the current Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA Manual) and the Chamberlain Guidelines for Writing a Professional Paper (located in the APA Basics section of the Writing Center) to complete this assignment. Follow these guidelines when completing each component. Contact your course faculty if you have questions.
- Use the APA Paper Template (located in the Writing Center) to format this assignment.
- Turn on Grammarly to check the correctness of the grammar and punctuation as you write. (Note: if you have not already done so, please download the free version at Grammarly.com before construction of the assignment.)
- Construct a title page using the APA paper template (Example: The Nurse Leader and Impaired Nursing Staff) based on your selected ethical or legal dilemma.
- Use the following prescribed Level I headings for the paper:
a. Ethical and Legal Dilemmas in Healthcare
b. Differing Views
c. Role of the Nurse Leader in Resolving Ethical and Legal Dilemmas
Writing Requirements (APA format)
• Length: 5-7 pages (not including title page or references page)
• 1-inch margins
• Double-spaced pages
• 12-point Times New Roman or 11-point Arial font
• Headings & subheadings
• In-text citations
• Title page
• References page
• Standard English usage and mechanics
• Organized presentation of ideas
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes:
- Explore the role of the nurse leader in the advancement of the profession through personal and professional accountability. (POs 2, 4, 6, 8)
- Analyze the role of the nurse leader in interpreting and responding to legislation at the state and federal level, which impacts nursing and healthcare at the micro, meso, and macrosystem level. (POs 1, 4, 9)
- Formulate strategies to adapt individual leadership style to situational needs and rapid change in the healthcare environment. (POs 6, 8, 9)
- Promote advocacy for cultural diversity, social justice, and health equity. (POs 1, 2, 4, 6)
- Demonstrate nursing leadership knowledge of the complexity of the healthcare environment and ethical dilemmas facing healthcare systems. (POs 1, 2, 4, 9)
Do you need help with this assignment or any other? We got you! Place your order and leave the rest to our experts.