ASSIGNMENT 3: Module 10: The House That Herman Built Before viewing the videos below ask yourself how you feel about the practice of solitary confinement being used in our jails and prisons. Then watch the following video clips:
- Herman’s House – Official Film Trailer 2 minutes 20 seconds
- http://video.pbs.org/video/2365038994 3 minutes 12seconds
- http://on.aol.com/video/prisoner-released-after-40-years-in-solitary-confinement-517953904 2 minutes
Then read the following articles:
- http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/05/us/herman-wallace-held-41-years-in-solitary-dies-at-71.html?_r=0 (On page 2 of the PDF there is a list of common misconceptions about solitary confinement.)
Then answer the following questions for the discussion post:
- 1.Select one misconception and discuss your reaction.
- 2.The EIGHTH AMENDMENT of our Constitution (ratified in 1791) reads
“Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted”. There is disagreement whether solitary confinement is cruel and unusual. What do you think?
- 3.Have your feelings about solitary confinement changed after watching the videos and learning about this practice? If so, how?
- 4.The New York Times article quotes Herman Wallace’s last words.
What were they and 5.what was your reaction to them?
Do you need help with this assignment or any other? We got you! Place your order and leave the rest to our experts.