Organizational policy alignment and adherence to laws and regulations is critical for overall corporate compliance and to decrease organizational risks (patient falls, medication errors, cyber hacks and PHI data breaches, infection control, et cetera). In this assignment, you will select, evaluate, and update one health care provider’s policy related to a significant regulatory risk to the health care organization.
Select a policy in relation to one of the three risks that is of interest to you:
1. Recovery Audit Contractors – Recovery audit contractors, responsible for auditing providers while looking for over-payments, are also having a tremendous impact on the healthcare industry. While hospitals and medical practices are able to file an appeal against recovery audit contractor determinations, the process can be time-consuming and expensive. In the event the appeal is lost, the hospital or practice must pay annual interest on the amount owed.
2. Tax-Exempt Hospitals & Compliance Requirements – Hospitals that want to obtain or maintain tax-exempt status are required to meet specific requirements under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Such requirements include conducting a community health needs assessment and preparing written financial assistance and emergency care policies. In addition, there are limitations on charges as well as collections policies.
3. Employment & Labor Issues – Hospitals are also now facing increasing age discrimination claims associated with termination. Additionally, hospitals must also handle more requests to accommodate employees with disabilities. In an effort to avoid legal action, hospitals must ensure that they provide accurate job descriptions and implement formal written policies regarding employee dismissals.
If you work in the healthcare industry, imagine you are a health care administrator at your current employer, and follow these assignment instructions:
1. Analyze the policy you selected, taking into consideration any recent changes
2. Evaluate what information and where that information would need to be updated
3. Propose revisions that are based on current identified standards and/or new guidelines that you have identified in other high-quality sources (that is, journals, government websites, and the like).
4. Analyze the significance of the selected policy updates as it relates to potential allegation. (Why did the policy need updating? What threats do these changes help avoid?)
5. Summarize your perspective on the revisions as well as any additional changes that should be considered.
**6**Present your work as an executive summary suitable for distribution to your organization’s board members.
If you do not work in the industry or do not have access to a health care policy, use the Hahnemann Falls Policy to complete this assignment, following these instructions:
1. As you can see, this policy was written in 2012. Now, imagine you are a health care administrator working at the health care organization where this policy originates from.
2. Analyze the policy, taking into consideration the changes in HIPAA and PHI since 2012.
3. Evaluate what information and where that information would need to be updated for a current revision of this document.
4. Locate the areas where you would update or add information to this 2012 version. Propose
revisions that are based on current identified standards and/or new guidelines that you have
researched or identified in other high-quality sources(that is, journals, government websites, and the like).
Reference: Hahnemann University Hospital. No date. Hahnemann Falls Policy [PDF]. http://essentialhospitals.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Hahnemann_falls_policy.pdf
Your paper should be 3-5 pages long and should include a title page and references, for a total of 5— 7 pages. Remember, this “paper” should be presented as an executive summary suitable for distribution to your organization’s board members.
The grading criteria for this executive summary is as follows. It must include the elements listed below:
1. Analyze a problematic or dated health care policy, explaining its primary purpose and effectiveness.
2. Determine the issues the selected policy poses-as it is written and any related ramifications.
3. Research the changes needed to update and align the policy with current standards and guidelines.
4. Propose revisions that are based on current identified standards and/or new guidelines.
5. Analyze the significance of the selected policy updates as it relates to potential litigation.
6. Summarize personal perspective on the revisions as well as any additional changes that should be considered.
7. Meet clarity, writing mechanics, and formatting requirements.
Exemplary Scoring Guide:
1. Analyzes a problematic health care policy, succinctly explaining its primary purpose and effectiveness; analysis is scholarly and coherent.
2. Determines the issues the selected policy poses as it is written and any related ramifications; work is concise and well- reasoned.
3. Research the changes needed to update and align the policy with current standards and guidelines and makes logically sound conclusions based on latest research.
4. Proposes revisions that are based on current identified standards and/or new guidelines; description is accurate and well written.
5. Analyzes the significance of the selected policy updates as it relates to potential litigations; analysis is insightful and demonstrates academic rigor.
6. Summarizes personal perspective on the revisions as well as any additional changes that should be considered; summary is concise and well written.
7. Meets clarity, writing mechanics, and formatting requirements with 0-2 errors
Do you need help with this assignment or any other? We got you! Place your order and leave the rest to our experts.