The purpose of this activity is to help you understand a research article and become informed consumers of research. Once you are familiar with research terminology and how research articles are laid out, you will become more comfortable reading them. As an informed consumer, you will be able to improve your knowledge of evidence-based nursing practice.
Upon successful completion of this discussion, you will be able to:
- Explain the key components of a research article.
- Describe why and how the study was conducted and what was discovered from the study.
- Textbook: Foundations of Nursing Research
- E-book: Evidence-based Nursing: The Research-practice Connection
- PPT File: Chapter 5
- PDF File: 1.3 Articles List
In this course, you will have the opportunity to read both quantitative and qualitative research articles. There are similarities and differences between the ways the articles are arranged. In a quantitative research article, there are usually four to five headings: literature review/background, methods, results, discussion, and conclusions. In a qualitative research article, some of the headings may be literature review/background, methods, and findings/results. In addition, some qualitative research articles will also include data collection and conclusions/implications. Even if the headings are absent or different, the information still can be found in the research article.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- Read Chapter 5 and 20 in Foundations of Nursing Research.
- Read Chapters 1,2, and 3 in Evidence-based Nursing: The Research-practice Connection.
- View the Chapter 5 PowerPoint file.
- Select and read one (1) of the following articles on this list.
- Prepare to discuss the following Discussion Prompts:
- Why was the study done?
- How was the study done?
- What was found at the conclusion of the study?
- Are the findings relevant to the care of your patients? Explain your answer.
- Research and select at least two current scholarly sources to support your explanations and insight
Do you need help with this assignment or any other? We got you! Place your order and leave the rest to our experts.