This course introduces historical and contemporary theories, methods, and practices for the study of art history and visual culture. Students will become familiar with the history of ideas that have shaped art historical investigation and the study of visual culture. Through the examination of a diverse range of individual art works, exhibitions, and visual culture more broadly defined, students will develop theoretically informed approaches to think critically about the many ways in which art and visual culture functions.
After successfully completing this course, it is expected that you will:
• have knowledge of key historical and contemporary theories and practices of art history and visual culture studies
• be familiar with relevant vocabularies
• improve your capacity for critical thinking and writing
• have experience with scholarship of historical depth that investigates the theoretical conversations that occur across time and space
Please submit your assignments as a Microsoft Word document (.doc, .docx). Most writing software has this capability. You can download the whole Microsoft suite from the home page of Microsoft 365 through your student email. Assignments should be written in full sentences, double spaced and with proper citation and formatting
Short Essay 25%
For this assignment you will write a 3–5page essay that focuses on one artwork by an artist of your choosing that reflects or explores one key term from the class readings. You are welcome to choose any work of art, but it is strongly recommended you discuss your choice with your instructor. Remember that it is your responsibility to demonstrate how the key term of your choosing is related to the artwork. You must use a minimum of one course reading and provide one direct quote with proper citation and bibliography.
My ideas for the short essay and what I discuss with instructor.
Key Term: Psychoanalysis, must include this term but can add another key if necessary .
Pablo Picasso (Pablo Ruiz Picasso) – artwork can be change be staying within same artist preferred. Please message before changing artwork.
Malaga, Spain, 1881 – Mougins, France, 1973
• Date: 1937 (May 1st-June 4th, Paris)
• Technique: Oil on canvas
• Dimensions: 349,3 x 776,6 cm
• Category: Painting
• Entry date: 1992
Retrieved: January 31, 2022, https://www.museoreinasofia.es/en/collection/artwork/guernica
Journeys- must use journeys below in essay.
• Sigmund Freud, “The Uncanny,” https://web.mit.edu/allanmc/www/freud1.pdf
• Barbara Creed, “Horror and the Monstrous Feminine” The Monster Theory Reader, pp. 95–108.
• Joan Riviere, Excerpts from “Womanliness as Masquerade,” http://mariabuszek.com/mariabuszek/kcai/DadaSurrealism/DadaSurrReadings/RiviereMask.pdf
• Mark Fisher, “Introduction” The Weird and the Eerie, pp. 8–13.
Do you need help with this assignment or any other? We got you! Place your order and leave the rest to our experts.